Nonbinary Name and Gender Change
Effective September 1, 2018 – California Has it!
Nonbinary Name and Gender Change, starting on September 1, 2018, is officially available in the Superior Courts of California. By law, California has officially established a third category of gender that is neither male or female. It’s Nonbinary.
On Oct. 15, 2017, Gov. Jerry Brown signed SB 179, creating a new gender (“nonbinary”) designation in the state of California and for all forms of California state ID. Within that law, were provisions that Petitions for Nonbinary Name and Gender Change could be filed, after September 1, 2018. Governor Brown signed the new law in 2017. The extra time gives all the various administrative agencies and courts the time needed to revise forms, ID templates, instructions and provide the needed training to implement the new law. California ID agencies, such as DMV, are to provide nonbinary gender options starting January 1, 2019.
California residents are able to Petition for Change of Name and Gender, choosing Nonbinary as their gender, They can also take a new name, for all legal purposes, chosen by the Petitioner respecting their gender identity. Previously, only male to female, or female to male, was available in the Name and Gender Petition court forms. Landmark Name Change cases had established the new category earlier, but Judicial Council approved Forms did not allow other choices until now.
If your gender is neither male nor female, California allows you to legally be yourself. If you want to change your name to conform to your gender identity, or if you want to change your name and gender, you should start doing that. California has made that more possible, more accessible, and pretty quick to do. Life is complex enough. It’s nice to have a little place like this where you can have an easier time of it.
Nonbinary Name and Gender Change – User Friendly
- Less Expensive: You no longer need to have (or pay for) a physician letter or declaration. You will not need to pay to publish notice of your Hearing. If you can’t afford to pay for court filing or certified copy fees, you can apply for Fee Waiver.
- Easier: You don’t need to obtain medical treatment or a physician statement documenting your treatment. You don’t need to attend a Hearing unless someone files a legitimate written objection to granting your Petition. You don’t need to convince a judge about your gender.
- Faster: The law requires a minimum of 6 weeks to process your Petition, and courts usually schedule longer than that to allow for required publication. Yours doesn’t require publication and can be scheduled at the 6 week point, although it will be up to each court to schedule according to their overall caseload priorities.
- Flexible: You can apply for name change or name and gender change. You can further designate, if for name change only, that the change is to conform your New Name to your gender identity. For name and gender change, you can change from male to nonbinary or from female to nonbinary. From male to female, or female to male, is still okay too.
Nonbinary Name and Gender Change – Costs
COSTS – Nonbinary Name and Gender Change costs vary, a little bit, depending on where you live. The largest cost is what the Court charges for filing and processing it. That cost will be between $435 and $480 to file, depending on the county where you live now. The court can waive that charge if you qualify because of low income (ask us about court fee waiver forms if you can’t afford the court filing costs).
Petition preparation costs run from zero to thousands of dollars. If you do everything yourself, you won’t pay anything except time for that. Figure on between 10 and 20 hours. Name Change services charge between $30 and $400. Some Services only provide the Forms and may not be up on California’s most current process. With Services you may only to get blank forms, some will fill them out for you, and 1 Specialist offers Full Service. Attorney’s charge between $400 and $3,500 for the same thing.
TYPICAL TOTAL COSTS – Name or Name and Gender Change
Full Service: $670 ($435 court, $235 Petition/Filing/Decision) (typical prices – some counties are a little more)
235 (with court Fee Waiver approval)
Nonbinary Name and Gender Change – What Can Go Wrong?
- The biggest obstacle to your succeeding in getting this important personal change in your life, is not starting. People put things off. It’s human nature. With something like this, it can be intimidating. That makes it easier to postpone. And, it’s not simple, automatic or free. But, it’s never been more possible and available. So, if this is something you really want….begin.
- If you don’t complete the forms correctly or completely, or if you don’t do this in the correct court, it will not work. The courts have produced all the new Forms and Instructions, which are available at any Superior Courthouse in California. AND, there are services and attorneys who can help you online or with a minimum of searching for name change help.
- Unresolved Criminal History can sink your Petition, even if you’ve done everything else correctly. If you have unresolved criminal history (still on parole, probation, owe restitution or have outstanding warrants), we recommend you clear those up before beginning your Petition process.
- Nonbinary Name and Gender Change is fairly new, even in California. So, mistakes can be made by court clerks and even judges. And, private agencies and lawyers may not be familiar with all the new rules, forms and procedures to complete this successfully. When getting Name Change Help, ask questions to understand if the person assisting you has experience and will be responsible for helping you all the way through the process. Check review sites such as Yelp, Better Business Bureau, Facebook, etc.
At EZNameChange.com, we’ve already been helping with Trans Name and Gender Changes for years. Legal Name Change, and Name and Gender Change for Californian’s is all we do. We’re Specialists. If you want to do your Name Change or Name and Gender Change all by yourself, you can. If you want to just ask a question or two, we’ll be happy to help. Alternatively, we will take you all the way through the process if you want that kind of help. We feature low-cost, minimum bother, and maximum of satisfaction. Check out our Yelp reviews. Go ahead. Push our buttons!