There are thousands and thousands of committed same sex couples in every nook and cranny of the United States, and in every corner of the world too. Some decide to formalize their commitments to each other by taking vows.
Some of these couples live where they can legally marry…most do not. But there is trending in favor of same sex marriage equality. Whether couples can legally marry or not, in such a moment, one partner or both may change their last names so that the couple shares the same last name thereafter, “’til death do they part”, or some other duration of their mutual agreement and promise to one another.
Some same-sex couples decide that one partner will abandon her/his family name and take the other’s family name thereafter. Some decide to take a hyphenated form of both of their family names as both of their last names thereafter. Some couples decide that each will keep their own names after marriage. Some couples decide to make a mash-up of both last names for their very own, unique married couple last name. Every marriage is its own personal and intimate celebration of that couples values, beliefs, shared decisions and commitments.
For the benefit of all of you who are approaching a time to decide about marriage, or who are thinking about it because you’re in “that kind of love”, or who have decided to marry but haven’t yet decided the married last name question, we offer:
The Top 10 Reasons WhySame-Sex Couples Want to Share the Same Last Name After Marriage:
10. Because one partner’s last name is truly ridiculous and the other can’t wait to shed it
9. Because sharing a last name is symbolic of sharing life
8. Because we want the world to know we are one now
7. Because it upsets some members of the family that need to be upset
6. Because we can’t yet get legally married in our state, but we can legally do this
5. Because when our state gets around to allowing us to be “legally” married, we won’t have to change our names again
4. When we got married, I didn’t take his/her last name but now I want to.
3. Because it’s a very public way for us to say I love you to each other, everyday
2. Because having the same last names means we are our own family now and ever
And the number one reason for us to have the same last names is….
1. Because of the smiling:)