Transgender Name Change
In California, it’s Working Fairly Well
Transgender Name Change in California was made much better since a 2014 new California Law took effect (AB 1266, see CCP Section 1277(a)(5), 1278(a)(2)). California courts have been processing each Transgender Petitioner, under the new laws, more and more smoothly. A few clerks, and even some judges, weren’t familiar with the new processes early on. But, even when those processing problems happen, they can be cleared up quickly when the law is cited and reviewed.
Now, California residents can Petition for Change of Name, or Name and Gender. Each of those types have different forms, costs and procedures. And both types have special new sections of California Law that apply only to them.
If you want to Change just Your Name (and not also your Gender Marker at the same time), the New Law calls that a Petition to conform to the Petitioner’s gender identity. It allows the Petition to be processed without publication of the Hearing (No Advertising). And, it also requires the court to Grant the Petition without appearing at a Hearing, unless objections are received. See below for the costs and time frames, etc.
If you want a Petition to Change Your Name and Gender, that process has it’s own set of Forms and a variation on the process. Most notably, a Petition for Name and Gender must be filed with a Physician Declaration, stating that you’ve undergone clinically appropriate treatment as provided under Health and Safety Code sections 103425 and 103430.
Transgender Name Change
The newly modified process is:
- Prepare the correct set of Court Forms for the correct Superior Court
- File the Forms at the courthouse and pay the filing fee or use a Court Fee Waiver Request. Set a Hearing date.
- Run the required advertising (Name and Gender Petitioners only. Gender (only) Identity Petitioners no longer required to advertises.
- Attend the Hearing to get you Certified Decree, upon approval. Start changing your Government and Financial ID and records
- Gender Identity Petitioners ARE NOT technically required to attend the Hearing. But, like Name and Gender Name Petitioners, all Petitioners need to get their Certified Copy(s) from the courthouse in order to Change Important ID and Official Records.
Transgender Name Change – Costs
COSTS – Adult Name Change costs vary depending on where you live. The largest cost is what the Court charges for filing and processing it. That cost will be between $435 and $480 to file, depending on the county where you live now. The court can waive that charge if you qualify because of low income (ask us about court fee waiver forms if you think you may qualify). Name and Gender Petitioners are *required to Advertise (publish a certain notice in a qualified legal notice newspaper, in a certain way.
Advertising costs run between $50 and $400 depending on the county where you live now and the newspaper chosen. If we help you with Full Service, we will choose the most cost-effective qualified newspaper, if you are Advertising. Even with our Ready-To-File service, we will provide you with the qualified newspapers and their rates if you are Advertising.
Petition preparation costs run from zero to thousands of dollars. If you do everything yourself, you won’t pay anything except time for that. Figure on between 10 and 20 hours. Name Change services charge between $115 and $400. Attorney’s charge between $400 and $3,500 for the same thing. If you want legal advice, for instance because you have an unresolved criminal history, you may need an attorney.
Transgender Name Change
SUMMARY – EZ Name Change Costs
- $115: Initial Payment (Petition Preparation)
- 435 Court Filing Fee (can be 450, 465, or 480 depending on your location)
- 120 Full Service Filing, Gender Annotations/Declaration (if needed), Advertising Service (if needed), Setting Hearing date and getting a Full REPORT with copies of everything.
($230 TOTAL, with accepted Fee Waiver; If you choose to advertise, add $80 more (average: can be higher; payment for Court Filing, Advertising (if any) and Full Service paid AFTER you sign your completed Petition.
When California’s laws changed, in 2014, Name Change and Name and Gender change became more user friendly. For that, we thank the people who helped make it happen, including Assembly member Toni Atkins, Equality California, the Transgender Law Center, and Gov. Jerry Brown.
At EZNameChange.com, we’ve already been helping Trans people through the new process. Legal Name Change, and Name and Gender Change for Californian’s is all we do. We’re Specialists. If you want to do your Name Change or Name and Gender Change all by yourself, you can. If you want to just ask a question or two, we’ll be happy to help. Alternatively, we will take you all the way through the process if you want that kind of help. We feature low-cost, minimum bother, and maximum of satisfaction. Check out our Yelp reviews. Go ahead. Push our buttons!
* The language of the Name Change laws talks only about a Petition that “seeks to conform the petitioner’s name to his or her gender identity”. The Name Change Laws exempt Petitioners that fit the description of seeking to conform the petitioner’s name to his or her gender identity. And yet, court instructions refer to compliance with Health and Safety Code sections for Petitioners seeking Name and Gender Change, which do require Advertising and Hearing attendance. Or do they? The courts may have to eventually settle on whether a Petition to Change a person’s Name and Gender IS or IS NOT a Petition that seeks to conform a person’s name to his or her gender identity. Until then, the Name and Gender Change Petitioner must make a practical decision about whether or not to Advertise AND/OR attend their Hearing.