Call Now:

How To Change Baby Last Name On Birth Certificate?

For new parents or those who have legally changed their own surname, updating your baby’s last name on their birth certificate is often desired. While manageable, it does require properly filing the right paperwork. Here is how to legally change a baby’s last name on their birth certificate:

Review State Laws

Every state has its own laws and processes for amending vital records like birth certificates. Consult your state health department website or call the Vital Records office to understand requirements, which may include:

  • Minimum age of baby before changes can be requested
  • Acceptable reasons for changes like adoptions, marriage, etc.
  • Necessary forms to submit for amendments
  • Any fees involved for processing updates
  • Average processing time after submission

Follow proper protocols from the outset to avoid headaches.

Gather Legal Documents

To submit a request, you typically need the following documentation:

  • Original baby’s birth certificate listing old name
  • Certified copy of marriage license if changing due to marriage
  • Certified court order approving legal name change of baby or either parent
  • Completed amendment application forms as specified by state

Having all materials ready ensures the filing is complete for processing.

Complete Application

Fill out all state amendment request forms entirely and accurately. Leave no blanks if possible. Follow all formatting instructions precisely.

Sign all paperwork. Get notarization if required. Attach certified copies of name change court order or marriage certificate authorizing the change. Pay associated fees along with submission.

Submit to Proper Office

Each state handles birth certificate amendments differently:

  • Some require mailing applications to the health department.
  • Others mandate applying in person at agency offices. Some allow online application submission but may require that certified and notarized documents be mailed or presented in person.
  • Major cities may have separate vital records offices.
  • Hospitals sometimes allow changes shortly after birth before records are filed.

Only send applications to the specific office and in the manner designated by your state to prevent processing issues.

Await Updated Birth Certificate

Once submitted, birth certificate amendments take anywhere from several weeks to 5 or more months depending on agency workloads. Avoid tight travel deadlines when filing requests. If needed urgently for travel, expedited processing options do exist for added fees in some states.

Check Application Status

Follow up periodically on the status either online or via phone until you receive confirmation the change was made. This can prevent potential extra delay. Contact the office if anything seems amiss or the updated certificate isn’t received within the estimated timeline provided. Politely inquire about status.

Update Related Documents

Once received, use the updated birth certificate to revise the baby’s name on related documents like social security cards, passports, insurance cards, etc. For the most seamless experience going forward, ensure all records and accounts match the baby’s new legal surname. Maintain copies of the amended birth certificate as fundamental proof. With well-researched preparation and diligently completed paperwork, you can successfully update a baby’s surname on their birth certificate in line with your family identity.

Start Your Name Change Now!!

Full Service Name Change in CA, GA, IL, NY & AZ

More states coming soon!

Privacy Policy

We take privacy very seriously. Our Privacy Policy is published and available for you to review anytime through our website link found at the bottom of every website page. We don’t ask for or allow access to your information, for any reason, except for our use to prepare your required court documents. We destroy your information after it’s no longer needed to support your Name Change Petition process. We maintain a high-security website badge and use encrypted data transfer systems. Your privacy questions are welcome.

Get In Touch!