Call Now:

Name Change California – How to Change Your Name in California

Table of Contents

Changing Your Name in California - We Can Help

Name change California starts by filing a Name Change Petition in the Superior Court where you live. It ends with a Court Order in your hands. A Decree Changing Name (Court Order) is what all government agencies, schools, financial institutions and private organizations want to see before they will agree to change your ID and other important records.

How to Legally Change Your Last Name in California

Legally changing your last name in California is more common than changing other parts of your whole name. That’s because marriage and divorce have traditionally affected people’s last names only. And, because of the marriage and divorce connections to last name changes, there are additional ways to legally change your last name. However, filing a name change case in civil court is available for all types of last name changes in California.

We understand how to change your last name, and help you with the process. Men or women can now also retake a former, or birth name, within a California divorce case. Likewise, one or both spouses can change your last name on your marriage license by writing in your new married name onto the marriage license before it’s turned in by the official. There are limitations for the changes you can get this way.

How to Legally Change Your First or Middle Name in California

Anyone can change your first or middle name in California by filing a Petition for Change of Name. There’s no difference, in a first or middle name change case, from a case where you want to change your last name. It’s the same process, and is just as legally valid upon approval.

Name Change Process in California

The following process to change your name in California is standard. Each state, and each county within each state, has its own rules for name change, but they will all have most, or all of these basic characteristics.

Steps for Legal Name Change California

How to legally change your name:

  1. Prepare and File a Petition
  2. Give Name Change Notice
  3. Get Your Court Order, Upon Approval
  4. Change Your ID and Official Records

Step 1 – Petition For Name Change California

First, Prepare it. You must fill out and file in the correct court, all the required Name Change Petition forms. In addition to the standardized California Judicial Council forms, certain California Counties have additional forms they require. The standardized forms, depending on your particular Name Change situation, are:

  • CM-010 Civil Case Cover Sheet
  • NC-100 Petition for Change of Name
  • NC-110 Name and Information About the Person Whose Name is to be Changed
  • NC-120 Order to Show Cause
  • NC-121 Proof of Service of Order to Show Cause [Used in some Child Name Changes only]
  • NC-130 Decree Changing Name
  • FW-001 Request To Waive Court Fees [USED when you can’t afford to pay for court fees ONLY]
  • FW-003 Order on Court Fee Waiver [USED when you can’t afford to pay for court fees ONLY]

You also need one extra required form, for checking on criminal history, in 10 counties. Still other counties have additional forms to fill out for self-representation or consent. Some Counties also make you File a Civil Cover Sheet Addendum. The courts all change their Forms from time to time. You have to use the most current ones.

Next, File it. File the Petition in the County Superior Court. (see California Name Change Laws – CCP Section 1276) Each court charges a filing fee. You can File a Fee Waiver Request if you can’t afford the Court Fees. The Court will assign a case number to your Petition and give you a Hearing date. You’ll go to court on the Hearing date and get your Court Order, upon approval. The hearing dates are usually 6-12 weeks or longer away, depending on how crowded the court’s schedule is.

EZ name Change can now help you from outside California if you were born or married in California. EZ is the only Name Change Specialist with FULL SERVICE, to prepare and file your Petition, get your Hearing arranged, and handle all Advertising arrangements for you.

Step 2 – Give Name Change Notice in California

You must advertise the particulars of your Name Change Hearing. You choose a qualified newspaper and pay them for the required ad. The ads run once a week for 4 consecutive weeks. Your judge will want to see that Proof of Publication before approving your Petition.

If you’re a parent Petitioning for your Child without the consent of the other parent, you may also have to serve legal notice of the Hearing on the non-consenting parent. Any adult (not the Filing parent) can do the serving as can Private Process Servers, U.S. Mail, or a Sheriff’s deputy. The particular rules that apply to you are found in the California Code of Civil Procedure, Section 1277 (a).

EZ Name Change Customers get the benefit of our many years of experience arranging the most cost-effective, qualified and reliable newspapers in your county. When we do the Filing and Advertising, we take care of all that for you.

Step 3 – Get the Certified Copy of Your Court Order

Your judge will decide whether to sign your Decree Changing Name or not. Almost all Petitions we prepare are Granted. You get a Certified Copy right away, upon approval. With your Certified Decree Changing Name, you can begin changing your important ID and records that same day. You get the Certified Copies in the very same courthouse.

Step 4 – Change Your ID and Records

A Certified Copy of your Decree Changing Name will let you get all your records changed. Social Security, DMV, Schools, Banks, Passports, Birth Certificates all honor that particular document. All US government agencies, State and Federal, and countries throughout the world, honor that document. Many people change Social Security, Driver’s License and Bank or School the same day you get it. Some people wait to change records until after planned travel or other obligations. It’s up to you.

EZ Name Change FULL SERVICE customers each receive a Post-Decree Checklist with contact information and hints for quick and successful records changing once you have your Certified Decree Changing Name.

California Name Change - EZ Name Change Service

1. We fill out the Petition for Change of Name for your correct Superior Court.
There are 5 to 15 court forms to fill out, depending on your circumstances. We ensure they are properly and correctly completed for your particular type of Name Change, and for the right court. You’ll need to sign some of the documents and we’ll provide guidance for you.

2. We File the Petition at the Court
We submit your signed and completed documents to the correct court. We pay the court filing fees and supply the documents in the way required by the court. We get your Hearing/Completion date, time and place, and get court-stamped copies for your records.

3. We Arrange the Required Newspaper Advertising
We do all the order arrangements, and pay for your required publishing. We also take care of getting Proof of Publication to the judge in proper format as required by the court to complete your process successfully.

4. You get a Full REPORT
Once we have your Court Filing , Advertising and Hearing Date all set, we’ll send you a complete REPORT, providing you with all the dates, times, places and other details of what we have arranged for you. Your report will also provide you copies of all filed documents and publishing dates. EZ Name Change remains available to you for information and document assistance until you get your Decree, upon approval, and beyond.

5. Updating ID and Official Records
We will be providing you a checklist and Guidance to help you change your ID and Official Records once you have your Court Order, Decree Changing Name. It’s easier than you think, once you have your Certified Copy(s) in your hands.

Start Your California Name Change Now!

The #1 Rated Name Change Service in California

We take care of ALL the court forms, filings, and appointments!

Haven’t you waited long enough?

Name Change California – More Adult Information

Name Change California – More Child Information

Additional States We Service

Privacy Policy

We take privacy very seriously. Our Privacy Policy is published and available for you to review anytime through our website link found at the bottom of every website page. We don’t ask for or allow access to your information, for any reason, except for our use to prepare your required court documents. We destroy your information after it’s no longer needed to support your Name Change Petition process. We maintain a high-security website badge and use encrypted data transfer systems. Your privacy questions are welcome.

Get In Touch!