Call Now:

How to Legally Change Your Name in NY

New York Name Change - We Can Help

Name change New York starts by filing a Name Change Petition in the Supreme Court where you live. It ends with a Court Order in your hands. An Order Granting Name Change (Court Order) is what all government agencies, schools, financial institutions and private organizations want to see before they will agree to change your ID and other important records.

How to Legally Change Your Last Name in NY

Legally changing your last name in New York is more common than changing other parts of your whole name. That’s because marriage and divorce have traditionally affected people’s last names only. And, because of the marriage and divorce connections to last name changes, there are additional ways to legally change your last name. However, filing a name change case in Supreme Court is available for all types of last name changes in New York.

We understand how to change your last name, and help you with the process. Men or women can now also retake a former, or birth name, within a New York divorce case. Likewise, one or both spouses can change your last name on your marriage license by writing in your new married name onto the marriage license before it’s turned in by the official. There are limitations for the changes you can get this way.

How to Legally Change Your First or Middle Name in NY

Anyone can Petition to change a first or middle name in New York by completing a Name Change Petition process. There’s no difference, in a first or middle name change Petition case, from a case where you want to change your last name or your entire name. It’s the same process, and is just as legally valid upon approval.

Name Change Process in New York

The following process to change your name in New York is standard. Each state, and each county within each state, has its own rules for name change, but they will all have most, or all of these basic characteristics.

Steps for Legal Name Change New York

How to legally change your name:

  1. Prepare and File a Petition
  2. Get Your Court Order, Upon Approval
  3. Update Your ID and Official Records

Step 1 – Name Change Petition New York

First, Prepare it. You must fill out and file in the correct court, all the required Name Change Petition forms. In addition to the standardized forms, certain New York Counties have additional forms they require. The standardized forms, depending on your particular Name Change situation, are:

  • Application for Index Number
  • Request for Judicial Intervention
  • Name Change Petition
  • Order Granting Name Change

The courts all change their Forms from time to time. You have to use the most current ones.

Next, File it. File the Petition Documents in the County Supreme Court and obtain an Index Number. You can File a Fee Waiver Request if you can’t afford the Fees. The Clerk will give your Petition to the Judge and he will either grant, set a hearing and/or require further documentation, or deny your request.

EZ name Change is the only New York Name Change Specialist that will, with FULL SERVICE, prepare and file your Petition.

Step 2 – Get the Certified Copy of Your Court Order

Your judge will decide whether to sign your Order Granting Name Change. Almost all Petitions we prepare are Granted. You will have to go to the County Clerk’s office to obtain a Certified Copy of the Order Granting Name Change.

Step 3 – Change Your ID and Records

A Certified Copy of your Order Granting Name Change will let you get all your records changed. Social Security, DMV, Schools, Banks, Passports, Birth Certificates all honor that particular document. All US government agencies, State and Federal, and countries throughout the world, honor that document. Many people change Social Security, Driver’s License and Bank or School the same day you get it. Some people wait to change records until after planned travel or other obligations. It’s up to you.

EZ Name Change Customers each receive a Post-Decree Checklist with contact information and hints for quick and successful records changing once you have your Certified Decree Changing Name.

New York Name Change - EZ Name Change Service

1. We fill out the Name Change Petition for your correct Court.

There are 3 to 5 court forms to fill out, depending on your circumstances. We ensure they are properly and correctly completed for your particular type of Name Change, and for the right court. You’ll need to sign and notarize some of the documents and we’ll provide guidance for you.

2. We File the Petition at the Court

We submit your signed and completed documents to the correct court. We pay the court filing fees and supply the documents in the way required by the court. We get your court-stamped copies for your records.

3. You get a Full REPORT

Once we have your Court Filing , all set, we’ll send you a complete REPORT, Your Report will provide you copies of all filed documents.. EZ Name Change remains available to you for information and document assistance until you get your Order, upon approval, and beyond.

5. Updating ID and Official Records

We will be providing you a checklist and Guidance to help you change your ID and Official Records once you have your Court Order, Decree Changing Name. It’s easier than you think, once you have your Certified Copy(s) in your hands.

Start Your New York Name Change Now!

The #1 Rated Name Change Service 

We take care of ALL the court forms, filings, and appointments!

Haven’t you waited long enough?

Name Change New York – More Information

Privacy Policy

We take privacy very seriously. Our Privacy Policy is published and available for you to review anytime through our website link found at the bottom of every website page. We don’t ask for or allow access to your information, for any reason, except for our use to prepare your required court documents. We destroy your information after it’s no longer needed to support your Name Change Petition process. We maintain a high-security website badge and use encrypted data transfer systems. Your privacy questions are welcome.

Get In Touch!